The Carroll County Arts Council was formed in 1969 by a group of volunteers who wanted to make the arts part of the everyday fabric of Carroll County life. In the 1980’s they hired a professional director and gradually played a larger role in the life of this community. About that time the Arts Council also became formally affiliated with Carroll County as one of the officially recognized Recreation Councils. The Arts Council is a private 501© 3 non profit corporation which enables us to raise additional private funds to augment our public support.
The creation of the Carroll Arts Center was the result of a partnership between the City of Westminster, Carroll County Recreation & Parks Department and the Arts Council. Together we purchased and renovated the 1937 movie theatre on Main Street. It’s one of only two art deco structures in this county…the other being East Middle School. The original 850-seat Carroll Theatre opened on Thanksgiving Day in 1937 and was “the” place to go. The renovated facility opened in April of 2003 with 263 seats as well as space devoted to galleries, classrooms and visitor amenities. The building is now owned by the City of Westminster and leased to the Arts Council for $1 per year.
While we are very proud of this active community arts facility, we are also equally pleased with the role we play as a grantor through our Community Arts Development and Arts in Education Grants as well as our Musical Instrument Bank, the Tevis College Art Scholarship Program and the Tom Holder Memorial Scholarship Fund.